Pages

Mcphanis is the nickname my father gave me. He was my also my inspiration and mentor in the art world.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Beijing, China, May 2010 


I knew I was in the People's Republic of China when I couldn't access any blogs or Facebook to read or post anything. I went to China May 10 2010 and was gone almost 21/2 short weeks. I tried to work in at least one sketch a day, but being on the go it was difficult to stop. 

Great Wall Mutianyu


Rained a bit, hence the spotting. Would have stayed longer to sketch more but the rain pushed us ahead. The X-Box rain poncho that I got at the last Sounders game kept me warm and dry.


Local fruit stands and shops near "the upper East Side" - just outside the 4th ring road.

Sanlitun, Beijing - this area used to be all small shops and tiny bars. Since I was here last in 2007, they've built an outdoor shopping mall. Puma, Nike, Adidas, American Apparel, Apple and many more stores line a plaza that shouts with animated neon signs and crowds of young Beijingers. One sign that the 2008 Olympics made its mark.
Corner cigarette vendor in Sanlitun. Much of the old neighborhood remains.

Sanlitun Concession stand

Panjiayuan (Dirt Market also referred to as the Antiques Market), so named because people used to raid ancient grave sites and bring found goods to market still covered in dirt. Today it is an antique market with row upon row of mostly fakes (good fakes though). Beads, pottery, snuff bottles, books, furniture, brushes and ink paintings, clothes and much much more. Endlessly fascinating.

798 Art Space - the hub of Beijing's very vital contemporary art scene. The area was a factory site with Bauhaus-designed buildings. After the cultural revolution some young artist-types saw the high windows and big spaces of the old factories would make perfect gallery spaces. Today the area is very hip and artsy with international and local galleries, some private museums, shops, restaurants, coffee shops and boutiques.


One of the squares at 798. We just missed Art Beijing, an international art fair held at the end of April 2010 but we didn't miss the art in Beijing.

No comments: