Pages

Mcphanis is the nickname my father gave me. He was my also my inspiration and mentor in the art world.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Zhongdian

I felt like I was walking in a Chinese version of Dodge City as I stumbled though the cobblestone and dirt paths of Zhongdian, the largest city in Shangri-la county, Yunan Province. Everything was just a little rough around the edges. Maybe it was the proximity to the Tibetian Himilayas, or maybe just my imagination.


Our first meal was at the Tibetian Cafe where Bill Bass the singing fish monitored our food and conversation.






Ganden Sumtseling Monastery
Founded in the 17th century, it was almost completely destroyed in the Cultural Revolution. It has been restored to a great extent and operates as an active monastery and a tourist attraction for the area. More than 700 monks live there today. I bought a couple of prayer shawls. Capitalism's path to sprititual enlightment.


















1 comment:

John Wingfield said...

Was that animal above for real? Was it alive? Tied up with a nose ring? Or was it stuffed?